Wednesday, December 4, 2019

The Scholarship Jacket എന്ന പാഠത്തിലെ കൂടുതല്‍ ചോദ്യങ്ങളും ഉത്തരങ്ങളും (Class 10)

1. Mr. Schmidt was very angry to know that there was a plan to award the Scholarship Jacket to Joann. He argued strongly against it. He noted his reactions and feelings in his diary. Prepare the likely diary entry of Mr. Schmidt. 
12  January 2019
Today is an unfortunate day in my life. I am persuaded by my co-worker Mr. Boone to recommend Miss Joann for the Scholarship Jacket. I was shocked to hear his words. How can I overlook Miss Martha who is the right person deserving the award? I will never do it. My conscience does not allow me to do it. I’m a teacher. I’ve principles. I will fight to the last for justice.
2. On the occasion of honouring Martha the scholarship jacket, the Chairman of the School Board delivered a speech congratulating her. Prepare the likely speech.
Miss Martha, the Principal, respected teachers, beloved students and honourable friends,
I am proud of being here at the time of honouring our beloved student Miss Martha. I congratulate  Miss Martha for being eligible for receiving the scholarship jacket. I know she has been working hard and earnestly all these years for this great award. 
I would like to express my regret at a decision taken by the Board about this award. I wonder how it so happened. I congratulate the respected grandfather of Miss Martha for his justifiable argument, that an award which is paid for is not an award. It was an eye-opener. Thank you very much grandpa.
I also congratulate the principled stand taken by one of our respected teachers, Mr. Schmidt, who placed his arguments with all force in favour of  Miss Martha. Thank you Mr. Schmidt for your ideals. We want teachers like you. 
I would now declare that the Board will not deviate from its policy of awarding the scholarship jacket and that there is no question of demanding any money connected with it. I feel gratified that the mistake has been corrected in time. I exhort all our students to work hard with a vision just as Miss Martha has done. I congratulate Miss Martha and her grandfather once again. 
Thank you all. Thank you very much.
3. The story ‘Scholarship Jacket’ narrates the hurdles that Martha had to face before she got the scholarship jacket. Prepare a brief character sketch of Martha.
Martha
Martha’s parents were poor. They had eight children. So they sent Martha to her grandparents. She was very lean and tall. So people called her ‘beanpole’ and ‘string bean’. Martha had a straight A-Plus average. Martha deserved the scholarship jacket. She had won grade ‘A’ in all the eight years. The next girl in line was not so bright. Martha was shocked when she was informed that the Board had decided to charge fifteen dollars for the scholarship jacket. For Martha, the scholarship jacket was a result of her eight years of hard work and expectation for which she tirelessly worked.
4. Read the following dialogue and answer the questions that follow.
Mr Schmidt :  Martha has scored highest marks all these years.
Mr Boone :  Joann’s father is a Board member.
Now, complete the following sentences.
a. Mr Schmidt told _________.
b. Mr Boone said __________.
Answers:
a. that Martha had scored highest marks all those years.
b. that Joann’s father was a Board member.
5. ‘I could hardly believe my ears.’ I spoke in a trembling rush. ‘Oh! Thank you sir!’ Suddenly I felt great. These words of happiness show how much the scholarship jacket means to Martha. Briefly narrate her story in your own words. You may use the hints given.          
(Hints: wishes to get the scholarship jacket - works hard - overhears the conversation between Boone and Schmidt- Principal asks her to pay for the scholarship jacket - grandpa refuses - finally awarded )
Answer: The celebrated short story ‘The Scholarship Jacket’ was written by Marta Salinas. In this story she talks about an experience she had herself as a fourteen - year - old girl. Martha is a Mexican girl who is striving for a jacket. In Texas high school Martha attended, there was a scholarship jacket that was given to the valedictorian, the student who had maintained the highest grades for eight years. Martha was sure the jacket was hers as her sister had received and also because she had got straight ‘A’ grade since the first. Then by coincidence, she heard the conversation between her teachers. Mr. Schmidt argued for Martha whereas Mr. Boone argued for Joann.
The next day the principal called her and told her that the scholarship jacket was going to cost fifteen dollars and if she couldn’t pay for it, it would be given to the runner up. Martha left school tearfully and was more heartbroken when her grandfather said she couldn’t have the money. She knew that her grandfather was right when he said that she shouldn’t have to pay for something she earned. The next day she told the principal that she couldn’t have the scholarship jacket and explained why. The principal, feeling guilty told Martha that she would have the scholarship jacket.
6. Complete the following conversation between Martha and a News reporter.                              
Reporter : You are Martha, __(a)____?
Martha : Yes. I am.
Reporter : __(b)__?
Martha : I’m in class eight.
Reporter : You won the Scholarship Jacket, __(c)__?
Martha : Yes. I did.
Reporter : __(d)__?
Martha : No, I didn’t pay anything.
Reporter : Indeed you deserve it, __(e)__!
Martha : Thank you sir.
Answer: 
a) aren’t you?
b) Which class do you belong ?
c) didn’t you?
d) Did you pay for it?
e) how excellent!



No comments:

Post a Comment