Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Dawn of Hope എന്ന Unit ലെ കൂടുതല്‍ ചോദ്യങ്ങളും ഉത്തരങ്ങളും (More Questions and Answers)

1. Read the excerpt from ‘The Jungle Air Crash’ and answer the questions that follow.
Nights in the jungle are attractive only in films. In real life they are frightening. There was always a rustling somewhere: snakes? Something was crawling over my legs: a tarantula. Even the air seemed poisoned by decaying trees. I slept fitfully.
On the third day, I heard vultures. Where there are vultures there are usually bodies. I came upon a piece of airplane fuselage and saw twisted cables. The place stank of burnt fuel. But I could find no survivors. During the afternoon, I heard the noise of aircraft engines. I knew it was senseless, but I yelled, ‘Hello! Help!’ over and over again. They must have been quite near, though I never saw them and, of course, they didn’t spot me. Then the noise of the planes faded and I was again alone. But I was not disheartened. I could walk. I wasn’t hungry and I could drink from the clear stream.
i) Why does the writer feel that nights in the jungle are attractive only in films?
ii) ‘I knew it was senseless’. What was senseless? (Choose from the options given)
a. To check for survivors
b. To walk thought the jungle
c. To call for help
iii) ‘On the third day, I heard vultures.’ What conclusion does the writer arrive at?
iv) Complete the sentence given below.
If the rescuers saw the writer, ....................
v) Identify the sentence which means ‘Juliane was not sad.’
Answers:
i) The writer knows that in reality the nights in the jungle are frightening and dangerous. The rustling of snakes and some other dreaded creatures could be heard. Even the air seemed to poisonous by decaying trees.
ii) c. To call for help
iii) The writer comes to the conclusion that where there are vultures there could be dead bodies.
iv) They could have came to the narrator for rescue.
v) But I was not disheartened.
2. The members of the English Club of your school is planning to make a documentary based on the anecdote ‘The Jungle Air Crash’ and requires a child artist to play the role of Juliane. Prepare a notice inviting those interested to play the role. (Give necessary details like, age, acting skills etc.)
Answer: 
3. Juliane Koepcke the lone survivor of the Lansa flight 508 had a miraculous escape. It was the information she gained from her parents which helped her overcome the perils of the jungle. Prepare a write-up on the precautionary measures one should adopt to survive in a jungle, in the light of your reading of the anecdote ‘The Jungle Air Crash’.         
Answer: Experienced people can advise us about the precautions on should take if one is lost in a jungle. The first thing to aim at is finding out where people live. Once you have detected-such a place, you will surely get help from them. And then how to reach such a place? It is likely that people live near rivers. So one can choose to walk along the bank of a stream. The stream will lead you to a river. Then you can travel along the bank of the river.
In the jungle there can be snakes. So one should have a stick in one’s hand. One can strike it on the ground while walking. Since one is moving along the river-bank one will get clean water to drink. One may come across many kinds of fruits in the jungle you do not know whether they are good for eating. So it is better to avoid them. The most important thing is that one should not lose one’s heart in the loneliness of the jungle.
4. Read the conversation and fill in the blanks.
Journalist : How are the nights in the jungle?
Juliane : Nights in the jungle are attractive only in films. In real life they are frightening.
The journalist wanted to know from Juliane .......(a) ...... Juliane replied that ......... (b) ........ and added that in real life they were frightening.
Answers: 
a) how the nights were in the jungle.
b) nights in the jungle were (are) attractive only in films. 
5. Read the following passage. A few words are missing in the given passage. Complete the passage choosing suitable words from those given in the bracket.
I hope I am not very late .....(a)....congratulating you on your birthday. I am sending you....(b).... small package...(c)... contains my birthday present-a silver watch. I don’t know your likes and dislikes, but surely every boy likes a watch! I hope you will always keep this as a token...(d)... my affection for you.
(in,   which,   of,   a,   from)
Answers:
a) in     b) a    c) which    d) of
6. Read the excerpt from ‘The Jungle Air Crash’ and answer the questions that follow.
In clear weather, the flight from Lima to Pucallpa is one of the most beautiful in the world. But 30 minutes after take-off, when we were over the jungle, visibility diminished. And then, all of a sudden we hit a storm front. And this time, it was completely different from anything I had experienced before. Broad daylight turned to night around us. Lightning was flashing incessantly from all directions. At the same time,  an invisible power began to shake our airplane as if it were a plaything. People cried out as objects fell on their heads. Bags, flowers, packages, toys, jackets and clothing rained down hard on us; sandwich trays and bags soared through the air. People were frightened; they  screamed and started to cry. Outside, I saw a sort of bright yellow flame shooting from the right wing. I was blinded by that blazing light; while at the same time, I heard my mother saying quite calmly: ‘Now it’s all over.’ An instant later, there was a violent shaking and I found myself outside the plane, flying apart from it, still strapped into my seat. But I was alone,  alone and I was falling.
a. What happened thirty minutes after the airplane took-off?
b. Write down the strange experience that the author had after the flight had hit a storm front.
c. How did the author’s mother respond to the situation?
d. Pick out a sentence from the passage which describes the confusion on the airplane.
e. How did the author fall from the plane?
Answers:
a. Thirty minutes after take-off, visibility diminished and all of a sudden they hit a storm front.
b. Broad daylight turned to night around them. Lightning was flashing incessantly from all directions. At the same time an invisible power began to shake the airplane.
c. She looked calm and she said that then it was all over.
d. ‘At the same time’, an invisible power began to shake our airplane as if it were a plaything.

e. She fell from the plane strapped into her seat.



No comments:

Post a Comment